Wednesday, March 10, 2010

And Away I Go

Now it begins.

For a week, anyway.

Today, I'm off to NYC in search of a decent sublet and to grab what stage time I can. I've already scored a slot at a Village club tonight, thanks to the host, Ray Combs Jr. That's right -- the son of the man I wrote for in my twenties. I'm still wrapping my mind around that karmic fact. If I had any doubts about this adventure, running across Ray quelled them. This is meant to be.

From what I've seen, Ray's act is nothing like the old man's. He's more energetic, darker, willing to take risks. Ray Senior was very calculated about his material and career. Appealing to the broadest possible base was his main concern. I don't get that vibe from his son, which is good. I can't wait to reconnect with Ray (whom I haven't seen since he was a kid) and talk about comedy, life, whatever. That is, until he gives me the light. Then I'll have to wrap up the set or have my mike cut -- just like the Oscars! Ah, the lure of the biz.

I doubt I'll post much, if at all, until I return next week. But expect plenty of tales when I get back.

Here's a funny post-Mr. Show bit with David Cross and Bob Odenkirk. Jimmy Kimmel and Sarah Silverman provide unspoken cameos. See you all soon. Much love.