Monday, June 1, 2009

Appreciation




It's been a long, long time since I've asked for donations. That's because I hate rattling the can, and prefer to work directly for my dough. Then again, what I do here on a regular basis is work. So it would be nice to get something back for my labor, however quaint that might sound.

Look -- I don't make a living as a writer. Not even close. I take freelance editing jobs and have written ad copy for miracle fabrics and backyard sound systems, but these are sporadic at best. At the moment, these gigs are nonexistent. I make my living as an office cleaner. It's honest, humbling labor that keeps me somewhat in shape, but it's not what I should be doing, at least, that's what everyone tells me: "You're too talented for that!" Yeah? So fucking what. Welcome to the corporate world.

Long time readers already know this, but for those relatively new to this patch, let me lay it out -- there's no other blog like mine. There's no commercial or political sponsorship, no team of writers, no connection to any outside interest. It's just me, tapping away in my dusty, stained-carpet office. I give you analysis, commentary, satire, comedy, videos, rants, personal manias and whatever else I can scrape from inside my skull. I don't piggyback another writer's work, slapping a few redundant sentences on a cut-and-paste post. I give you what I got. For free. So now I'm asking for some love in return.

I can't tell you how many readers compare me to Matt Taibbi. I don't see much resemblance myself, but I'm looking at it from a more subjective angle. Still, I get mails asking, "Why aren't you writing for Rolling Stone like Taibbi?" If you are at all familiar with my work, the answer is obvious. But in case it isn't, let me quote from a recent Taibbi piece:

"I still like Obama, in a lot of ways. Having a president with less ability to inspire public confidence at a time like this, with our economy in such a death spiral, would be a disaster; God knows where we’d be right now with a McCain or a Mike Huckabee at the helm. But this guy has to show some stones somewhere along the line. He has to just forget the DC game and just take a clear stand on an issue like this sometime. He’s kind of running out of time to rescue his all-important first impression."

This is not a sentiment you'll ever see here. If you like the above style of writing, you know where to get it. Enjoy. If you want something more, something that won't appear in Rolling Stone, The Nation, at Salon, Slate, or any of the lib group sites, then please make it a little easier for me to compose. Hit the PayPal button at my blogroll and offer what you can. Or, if you hate using that device, write to me and we'll work out another arrangement.

Thanks in advance. Aloha.