Thursday, June 19, 2008

Savage Summer Reading



I'm sure many of you have already read David Swanson's review of "Savage Mules." While I disagree with Dave on several fronts, I really can't complain too much. Dave's take is much nicer than what I expect down the road. But you never know, given all the lib love in the air.

James Wolcott, with whom I had a delightful lunch last week, thinks that the new Progressive Book Club will not embrace "Mules." On the surface, I agree with Jim, but I also believe in the power of redemption; and if enough of us politely suggest that the PBC promote "Mules," I'm certain someone over there will give it a go. After all, it's not one of those long-ass, liberal dissertations about a "better" foreign policy. It's a fast read, more Ramones than Styx. Actually, you can read most of "Mules" in time to Joy Division's "Closer." It may not sync up quite like "Dark Side of the Moon" does with "The Wizard of Oz," but it comes close, or closer, if you will.

Beneath my profile on the right is the "Savage Mules" Amazon link. You get a lot of funny, insane polemic for $10.17. My readership alone could make "Mules" a bestseller. And if that happens, I get to spread the savage word to venues far and wide. So let's juice up the Dems' summer party.