Thursday, September 27, 2007

Caring Till It Hurts



"Americans are outraged by the situation in Burma." George W. Bush

"Hey Tom."

"Hi Sarah. How's the kids?"

"Outraged, of course."

"Yeah. Who wouldn't be?"

"I hate to see their faith in representative democracy soured at such an early age."

"Yes, it's sad all right. Who knew that the Burmese junta would hang on to its corrupt power as ruthlessly as it has?"

"The situation's made Jenny cry for three nights now. Her Buddha's gathering dust. I don't know what to tell her."

"I know. Susan and I just stare at each other over dinner. We're simply lost for words."

"Tyler re-named Jasper, 'Aung San Suu Kyi.'"

"That's a cute name for a lizard."

"Yeah. If it wasn't for the kids, I'd probably set myself on fire."

"Now, Sarah. Don't despair. Yes, the situation in Myanmar is grim, but you cannot let your outrage cloud your responsibilities here."

"You're right, Tom. Sorry if I seemed too dramatic."

"Well, it comes from a good place, just like the president said."

"Thanks. So, fancy a fuck?"

"Kyle's out of town?"

"Till Saturday."

"Sounds great. And who knows -- maybe when we're done, Gen. Than Shwe will be running for the hills."

"We can only pray."